November 21st, 2011
Trinity Grade School Jamboree: Day Five
Five-day event wraps up with busy Saturday schedule
This week's LouisvilleCatholicSports.com's coverage of the Trinity Grade School Jamboree is sponsored by Salsarita's
A slew of eighth grade boys "A" basketball teams took over Steinhauser Gymnasium at the Trinity Jamboree early Saturday morning to shake off the rust and prepare for the upcoming season.
Just a few weeks ago many of these same student athletes were preparing for football playoff games and the Toy Bowl and are adjusting to their new season of roundball. Several talented young players showed off their skills in the preseason games.
With only a handful of practices under their belts, coaches were still teaching and evaluating from the sidelines. Even the referees pitched in with some timely lessons on hand-checking and boxing out. They took time to giving warnings and discuss or display proper techniques as to what would be called a foul and what was permitted on the court.
At one point during the St. Margaret Mary - St. Aloysius game, a referee had a brief, but very informative discussion with the St. Aloysius coach on the topic of hand checks and what a defender could do when their man has the ball.
Lots of lessons earned as these teams prepare for their season schedule. And by all accounts, it should be a very competitive season as the future high school stars take to the court.
Saturday's games wrapped up the five-day event.
- St. Mary def. St. Michael
- St. Edward def. St. Francis of Assisi
- St. Aloysius def. St. Margaret Mary
- St. Albert def. Notre Dame Academy
- St. Martha def. St. Nicholas
- St. Bernard def. St. Raphael
- St. Agnes def. St. Patrick
- St. Gabriel def. Holy Spirit
- John Paul II Academy def. Ascension
- St. Stephen def. Sacred Heart Model School
- St. Leonard def. Sacred Heart Model School
- Holy Spirit def. St. Agnes
- St. Patrick def. Notre Dame Academy
- St. Bernard def. St. Martha
- St. Michael def. St. Mary
- St. Patrick def. Our Lady of Lourdes
- St. Martha def. Holy Spirit
- St. Aloysius def. St. Raphael
- St. Agnes def. John Paul II Academy
- St. Bernard def. Sacred Heart Model School
- St. Nicholas def. St. Mary