March 24th, 2011
"20 Key Questions" With JJ Francis
Mercy Academy junior takes on the Questions
Each week, LouisvilleCatholicSports.com will be getting to know a new student-athlete from the area by asking him/her a series of 20 key questions - some in-depth, some lighthearted - that will provide insight into the thoughts and personalities of the boys and girls who are doing great things on and off the local courts, fields, tracks, and courses. Below are the "20 Key Questions," brought to you by Key Financial Mortgage LLC.
Last season, the Mercy Academy softball team came within one win of a Kentucky state championship.
If the Jaguars are to repeat as regional champions and make another run at a title, they'll need a big season out of junior Jessica "JJ" Francis. And after a career-high 18 strikeouts during Mercy's season opener on Monday against Anderson County, it appears Francis and Co. are back on the right track in 2011.
Francis, who has verbally committed to continue her softball career at Murray State University, has a 3.5 GPA at Mercy and calls herself a "nonstop softball player." Mercy and Francis will face a formidable test on Thursday, as the Jags travel to Allen County-Scottsville to face the state's No. 3-ranked Patriots.
But before heading to take on ACS, Francis took time to partake in the "20 Key Questions" segment, and her answers are below.
1. What is your favorite pump up music on game day?
Anything by Lil Wayne. Music is very important for mentally preparing me before a game.
2. What is your ideal meal/snack before a game?
Subway 6 inch club
3. Why did you choose Mercy Academy?
Academic standards were high and when I visited it felt like home.
4. Which athlete do you look up to on a college or professional level?
Jenny Finch. She motivated me to become a pitcher.
5. What is your favorite movie quote?
I have a bunch but I guess I have to narrow it down to these two: “Buddy the Elf, What’s your favorite color?” -Elf and “Four fried chickens and a coke. And what would you like? Some dry white toast. Would you like any jelly with that? No. Dry. Would you like anything to drink with that? No. A coke." -Blues Brothers. Both of these just really make me laugh.
6. How does your faith impact your approach to sports?
My faith helps me approach anything in life with confidence and a good attitude. In games it helps me be a good sport.
7. What keeps you motivated?
Winning a state championship and striving to be the best player I can possibly be.
8. All time favorite board game?
9. Droid, iPhone, or Blackberry?
10. Favorite Facebook function?
Writing on my friends’ walls.
11. What is your favorite reality TV show?
12. What is your favorite pro team?
New York Yankees
13. What is your best quality/characteristic?
I am a laid back person off the field but a very driven person between the lines.
14. Favorite junk/comfort food?
Chocolate Chip Cookies
15. What is your favorite hour of the day?
Game time ;)
16. What is your nickname and how did you get it?
JJ is my nickname. I am a big Derek Jeter fan. When I was 9 years old I would wear Derek Jeter shirts all the time to the ball park. My teammates nicknamed me Jessica Jeter and then it got shortened to JJ.
17. Where is your favorite place to volunteer/provide community service?
I liked doing service at St. Ignatius preschool. I really enjoyed it because I love kids.
18. What is one hidden talent that you possess?
I don’t really have one, but I guess I would say I have a mean cart wheel.
19. If time machines were real, and you could only make one trip, would you travel forward or backward? Why?
I would travel backwards because I love history. I would love to go back to the ancient Egyptian times.
20. What is your proudest athletic moment?
My travel team the Louisville Lady Sluggers 18U Gold won the ASA Southern National Gold Championship this past summer.