April 5th, 2012
"20 Questions" With Beth Cecil
Bethlehem volleyball senior takes on the Questions
Each week, LouisvilleCatholicSports.com will be getting to know a new student-athlete from the area by asking him/her a series of 20 questions that will provide insight into the thoughts and personalities of the boys and girls who are doing great things on and off the local courts, fields, tracks, and courses.
To see past editions of "20 Questions," visit: http://catholicsportsnet.com/louisville/page/20-questions
Name: Beth Cecil
- Age: 17
- Current school: Bethlehem High School (Bardstown, Kentucky)
- Parish/grade school attended: St. Gregory Elementary
- GPA: 4.0
- Colleges considering: Bellarmine, Centre, and St. Catharine College
- Bio: Along with volleyball, Cecil has also played basketball and softball throughout her high school years. Aside from sports, she loves to sing and is actively involved in school choir which sings at Sunday Mass once a month. Throughout Cecil's Bethlehem volleyball career, she has earned 9 All-Tournament Team awards, been named 5th Region Player of the Year for 2012, earned a spot on the All-State First Team, and been named an Under Armour All-American Honorable Mention. Cecil graduates in May and plans to attend college in the Fall, and pursue a career pertaining to mathematics.
1. What is your proudest athletic moment?
One of my proudest and most exciting athletic moments, was when my team was able to push through the “slump” we had been through and claim the 19th District title, which hadn’t been accomplished by a Bethlehem volleyball team in over 5 years
2. What is your ideal meal/snack before a meet?
Before a match, when possible, I would eat a Subway sandwich.
3. If you were trying out for American Idol, what would be your "go to" song?
It would definitely be a country song. Choosing would be difficult though! I would probably sing, “Temporary Home,” by Carrie Underwood.
4. Which athlete do you look up to on a college/professional level? Why?
I look up to Deja McClendon. She has such great work ethic, and has accomplished so much in her short college volleyball career.
5. What is your favorite movie quote?
“…these flashes of reality that turn us upside down... change us…these moments of impact define who we are." –The Vow
6. How does your faith impact your approach to sports?
My faith strongly impacts the way I approach the game, and the way I conduct myself on the court. My faith has been the foundation for my sportsmanship, and the way I interact with my teammates and opponents. I always try to keep a positive outlook on things, no matter the situation, and use my talents to glorify God. My team always begins a match with a prayer, and prays to St. Sebastian throughout the game.
7. What is your favorite cartoon character?
8. All time favorite board game?
I love to play Clue.
9. Droid, iPhone, or Blackberry? Favorite app?
I personally have an Android, but I really like the new iPhone! My favorite app would have to be my music app, for downloading music to my phone.
10. What is your favorite local (non chain) restaurant?
Bardstown has so many great locally owned restaurants, but my favorite would have to be Pat’s Place.
11. What is your favorite reality TV show?
My favorite reality show would probably be American Idol.
12. What is your greatest fear?
I’d say my greatest fear, is probably failure. Each day I work so hard to be the best I can be, and I hope that such hard work will benefit me in the future and not fail me.
13. What is your best quality/characteristic?
I’d like to think that I’m a welcoming person, and that I’m able to make those in a new environment feel comfortable and welcome.
14. Favorite junk/comfort food?
Definitely barbeque chips!
15. What is your favorite hour of the day? Why?
I would say my favorite hour of the day is between 3 and 4pm. This is when I get home from school, and I just relax and listen to music before I go to practice or start my homework.
16. What is your nickname and how did you get it?
I don’t really have a common nickname, but a lot of people call me Bethany because they think that’s my real name… but it’s really not. It’s actually Elizabeth.
17. Where is your favorite place to volunteer/provide community service?
One of my favorite service projects I participated in was a project benefiting the local Flaget Hospital cancer unit. During the winter I crocheted hats for several cancer patients at the hospital.
18. What is one hidden talent that you possess?
I truly love singing. My dream is to have the audition for American Idol sometime!
19. If time machines were real, and you could choose just one - to travel forward or backward - which would you select and why?
As much as we would all like to be able to change things from our past, I would rather live with those mistakes and learn. I would definitely choose to travel forward. At this point in my life, I’m not sure exactly what I want to do (career-wise), and I would love to look to the future to find some answers.
20. If you could pick one person, dead or alive, and ask them just one question that they had to answer honestly, who would you pick and what would you ask?
Instead of a question, I would probably just ask a favor. I would ask Taylor Swift if I could perform with her. I think she’s a great role model and does well to keep a good reputation for her young fans. I would love to sing a song with her one day.