June 13th, 2012
"20 Questions" With Kristin Matula
SHA senior takes on the questions
Each week, LouisvilleCatholicSports.com will be getting to know a new student-athlete from the area by asking him/her a series of 20 questions that will provide insight into the thoughts and personalities of the boys and girls who are doing great things on and off the local courts, fields, tracks, and courses.
To see past editions of "20 Questions," visit: http://catholicsportsnet.com/louisville/page/20-questions
Name: Kristin Matula
- Age: 17
- Current school: Sacred Heart Academy
- Parish/grade school attended: St. Agnes School
- High school GPA: 3.86
- Colleges attending: Committed to play field hockey at Michigan State University
- Sports she plays: field hockey, basketball and track and field
- Bio: Kristin has played on three varsity teams at Sacred Heart Academy since freshman year (field hockey, basketball, and track and field). During her sophomore year, her field hockey team won the State Field Hockey Championship and her track and field team won the 3A State Track and Field Championship where she won the 300m hurdles. For her upcoming senior year, she was elected president of the 100 Club, the SHA Spirit Club that organizes pep rallies and promotes school spirit.
1. What is your proudest athletic moment?
Winning the 300m hurdles as a sophomore in the 2011 3A Ky State Track Championship, where SHA also won the overall team title!
2. What is your ideal meal/snack before a game/meet?
Pretzels and Peanut Butter
3. If you were trying out for American Idol, what would be your "go to" song?
That’s a tough one, but I’m going to have to go with “For Good” from Wicked, the Musical
4. Which athlete do you look up to on a college/professional level? Why?
Rachel Dawson. She is an AMAZING field hockey player on the USA Women’s National Team and she is very passionate about what she does. She is also a great leader considering she is the captain as well!
5. What is your favorite movie quote?
“Are you aware that I am rubber, and you are glue, and whatever you say to me bounces off of me and sticks to you? So put that in your back pocket.” – Mary Katherine Gallagher, from Superstar
6. How does your faith impact your approach to sports?
My faith impacts my approach to sports because I know that God has a plan for me and that every step of the way He is looking after me. I also know to approach my competition with the utmost respect.
7. What is your favorite cartoon character?
8. All time favorite board game?
Scrabble, my family is pretty competitive with this game!
9. Droid, iPhone, or Blackberry? Favorite app?
iPhone for sure! And my favorite app is Instagram
10. What is your favorite local (non chain) restaurant?
Café Lou Lou, they have the most delicious Chicken Carbonara!
11. What is your favorite reality TV show?
I don’t watch many reality TV shows, but I love watching Criminal Minds and Glee!
12. What is your greatest fear?
13. What is your best quality/characteristic?
My motivation and ambition.
14. Favorite junk/comfort food?
My mom makes some super tasty chocolate chip cookies!
15. What is your favorite hour of the day? Why?
Anytime that I am active and playing a sport!
16. What is your nickname and how did you get it?
Some people call me “Beluga.” I got it when I was a freshman on the varsity field hockey team when I was known as the baby. My teammates just started saying Baby Beluga, like the song.
17. Where is your favorite place to volunteer/provide community service?
Habitat For Humanity. I love the hands on work and building different parts of the houses for those who need them!
18. What is one hidden talent that you possess?
I can imitate a pretty sweet British accent.
19. If time machines were real, and you could choose just one - to travel forward or backward - which would you select and why?
Probably forwards because my dream is to play field hockey in the Olympics and I would like to see if I actually get to play in it!
20. If you could pick one person, dead or alive, and ask them just one question that they had to answer honestly, who would you pick and what would you ask?
I would ask my grandfather what is was like to fight in World War II. He was a paratrooper who took part in the liberation of The Netherlands.