September 10th, 2016

Colts keep Hibernian Cup away from Cougars again


Ed Peak

Staff Writer

Colts keep Hibernian Cup away from Cougars again
DeSales quarterback Aaron Pfaadt runs away from several Holy Cross defenders / photo by Christine Jacobs

While DeSales and Holy Cross battle for the Hibernian Cup yearly, it seems to have found a permanent home on Kenwood Drive.

The visiting Colts ran their winning streak to six wins over south end rival Holy Cross with a 54-0 victory Friday night.

DeSales (3-1) was coming off a 25-10 loss to Ballard where they didn't score an offensive touchdown.

That ended on the first play from scrimmage when Austin Tharp sprinted 51 yards down the right side line for the first of seven DeSales touchdowns. Tharp also had touchdown runs of one and 35 yards and finished with 100 rushing yards on six carries.

"We wanted to get back out here and show what we can do," Tharp said. "Last week we didn't execute very well. The offense didn't click.”

"Our preparation all throughout the week - it was a lot of up tempo,” he continued. “We talked about that on Monday. Make our practices more fun and up tempo. Making sure everyone knew what they were doing.”

Tharp's one yard run staked the Colts to a 14-0 lead with 3:03 in the first quarter.

Mitch Sirohman scored the first of his two touchdowns on a one yard run and sophomore quarterback Aaron Pfaddt, making his first varsity start, ran 10 yards with 5:49 left in the second quarter and the Colts led 28-0.

"For some reason, I don't know if it was the heat or humidity,” Holy Cross head coach Bob Bronger said. “Our guys were coming off the field exhausted for some reason.”

"I don't know why, but our kids are In good shape,” he continued. “They trained hard all summer. We've out conditioned a couple of teams to this point."

But this just wasn't the Cougars night.

Holy Cross (2-2) had an opportunity to score just before halftime but quarterback Jaren McDonald's pass from the DeSales 14-yard line was incomplete and that ended the first-half.

"It's still a rivalry on both sides and I still enjoy it," said DeSales coach Harold Davis who played in the game when Holy Cross was Bishop David.

"We focused on what I talked about last week and that was we had to get better," Davis said. "Practices have been a little more attentive. I think they know as a team, I don't know if we should have won, but we should have played a lot better (last week)."

DeSales tacked on touchdown runs of 35 yards by Tharp and an eight yard Carlos Ordway run made it 42-0 and by rule the clock didn't stop the remainder of the game.

"At halftime the way we were up, we didn't quit," Davis said. "That was the message at halftime to finish the game and finish it strong."

Sirohman had a three yard run with 10 minutes to play and on the final play of the game Colts freshman Jordan Watkins returned a J.R. Perry interception 95 yards for a touchdown.

This might have been a bad time to play DeSales coming off last week’s loss, but  Bronger knew the Colts would be a difficult matchup.

"There is such animosity between the communities and the schools," Bronger said. "I think they would have been ready to play like they did, no matter what.”

DeSales has outscored Holy Cross 205-22 during the winning streak. The Cougars, a Class A team, have a total of 250 students.

It was the Colts third shutout of the season. Defensive back Joe Sims led the way with two picks.

"We've held them to zero the last few years and we wanted to maintain that," Sims said. "We wanted to be on top of our game this week. Coming off a loss, we had it in our heads to come out and really show something. Last week wasn't what we are about. We really take pride in that zero."

And, with that said, the Hibernian Cup has its home for another year.


Recent Articles