September 3rd, 2016

Ballard stuns DeSales


Ed Peak

Staff Writer

Ballard stuns DeSales
Brothers returns an interception for a touchdown / photo by Crystal Schiess

DeSales rolled into Ballard with one of the top defenses in the state not allowing a point in eight quarters.

However the Bruins used their speed on two long scoring plays to upset DeSales 25-10 at Pat Crawford Stadium.

Over 3,000 fans watched the Class 6-A Bruins (2-1), coming off a loss to Male, dominate DeSales. The Colts offense was held to five first downs and 62 yards rushing.

Senior quarterback Brandon Rectenwald had a tough night throwing the ball completing four of 17 passes for 25 yards with an interception. Rectenwald's receivers dropped several passes.

"It's frustrating when we get the ball on the (Ballard) 15-yard line and we didn't move the ball," said a disgusted DeSales head coach Harold Davis. "Defensively our corners bit on two plays. We've got to be more disciplined in what we are doing."

Ballard took a 12-7 with 6:31 in the third quarter when quarterback Terrance May connected with KC Jones for a 72-yard touchdown. DeSales cornerback James Tobin couldn't recover and safety Alec Brothers tried to provide support but the ball sailed over his head. Jones waltzed into the end zone untouched.

DeSales got a break when a Brothers punt hit a Ballard played in the back and the Colts recovered inside the Bruins twenty yard line. The Colts settled for a Noah Herbert 30-yard field goal that trimmed the deficit to 12-10 with 4:22 in the third. But that was the begging of the end.

The offense continued to struggle and Ballard finished off with another May to Jones scoring pass of 60 yards with 10:22 in the fourth quarter for a 19-10 lead.

"We had miscommunication on one side that led to that one touchdown (the 72-yarder) and they ran the same play to the other side and had the same miscommunication. We've got some new guys and we've got to get better playing with each other. We have to trust each other more."

May, who threw for three touchdowns, tacked on a one-yard scoring run with 1:25 to play.

A state semifinalist last season, DeSales beat Ballard 29-6 a year ago. First year Bruins coach Mike Copley was happy. "Early on they were doing a great job against the run and we had to throw the football. They were controlling the line of scrimmage. We decided to take a chance and go long. Great job by our guys."

Copley said he was concerned going into the game.

"Watching them on tape offensively, they were on point, in mid-season form. I was pretty concerned about them punching us in the face. Our guys rose to the occasion," said Coley.

DeSales was one of only two of the 38 Class 2-A teams going into play Friday that hadn't allowed a score. The other, Leslie County.

"Hopefully this game will be a gut check for a lot of guys," said Brothers, who returned an interception 30 yards for a touchdown that gave the Colts a 7-6 halftime lead. "I don't want to say we came in (too) high or anything. Hopefully this will bring us back down earth."

Davis said he thought the team came in a little flat.

"I don't know what the reason is. We watched film on these guys. We talked to the kids about the athletes they have, all those things.

"We have got to get some things corrected, offense, defense, special teams. Everything. Our kids have got to do what we ask them to do," said Davis.

DeSales travels to play rival Holy Cross (2-1) next week. The Cougars beat Providence 14-7, Friday.

"We need to get back to work and start over," said Brothers.


Recent Articles