March 27th, 2019

Burns leads No. 1 St. Xavier past No. 2 Trinity, 10-9

Staff Report

Burns leads No. 1 St. Xavier past No. 2 Trinity, 10-9
St.X defeats Trinity 10-9 in lacrosse / photo by Nate Bryan

By Nate Bryan

Hillis Burns got going early and late Wednesday.

The St. Xavier attacker scored the Tigers' opening and game-winning goals as St. Xavier never trailed in a 10-9 win over host Trinity Shamrocks on Marshall Stadium's Harry Jansing Field in a matchup between the state's top-two high school boys lacrosse teams.
No. 1 St. Xavier (7-1) won the opening draw and found the net just 18 seconds later on attacker Hillis Burns' unassisted wraparound goal. The Tigers doubled their lead less than 3 minutes later as Burns found Ben Hubbs for the goal. 
No. 2 Trinity (6-3) got back within one goal with 5:11 left in the first quarter as Will Redmond scored unassisted for the Shamrocks. Redmond scored again 70 seconds later off a feed from Noah Kessler to briefly knot things back up at 2-all.
The tie lasted for a mere seven seconds as the Tigers won the ensuing draw and immediately regained their lead on Justin Hardin's shot.
St. Xavier stayed in the lead for a little more than six minutes. Trinity's Gavin Nolan scored off a pass from Noah Kessler to tie it at 3-all with 9:46 left in the first half.
Trinity was barely more than two minutes away from going into the break tied, but St. Xavier's Cam Johnson exploded for one assist (to Burns) and one goal about 90 seconds a part to send the Tigers to a 5-3 halftime lead.
St. Xavier extended its lead to 6-3 less than two minutes coming out of the break as Patrick Anderson scored on a man-up advantage.
The teams traded goals nine seconds apart midway through the third quarter as Burns scored off an Anderson assist with the Tigers on a man-up advantage to make it 7-3. Nolan scored off a Redmond pass after Trinity won the ensuing faceoff to get the Rocks back within 7-4 with 5:57 left in the third quarter.
Nolan completed his hat trick with 4:58 left in the third period off a pass from Dalton Hubbs to cut St. Xavier's lead to 7-5. The Rocks continued their surge as Will Warner broke into the scoring column with 2:40 left in the third quarter to cut it to 7-6.
Matching his brother, St. Xavier's Will Hubbs scored with 9:17 left in the game off Anderson's pass to give the Tigers a two-goal cushion at 8-6.
Nolan found the net for the fourth time on the night, this one coming with 7:46 left in the game, to get the Rocks back within one at 8-7.
Trinity was able to pull even for the third time at 8-8 as Andrew Hammell scored off Redmond's pass. The tie lasted just 82 seconds as St. X came up with a save before Will Hubbs scored off a feed from Burns with 4:07 left in regulation.
With 3:48 left in the fourth quarter, Nolan scored off a pass from Hammell for his fifth goal of the night to knot it at 9-9. Just 21 seconds later, St. Xavier took a 10-9 lead as Burns scored off an assist from Will Hubbs.
Trinity had a shot ring off the left pipe with 1:53 left which would have tied it.

Recent Articles