May 15th, 2019

Rock Stars: Noland, Hubbs lead Trinity to 18-1 win in semifinals over North Oldham

Staff Report

Rock Stars: Noland, Hubbs lead Trinity to 18-1 win in semifinals over North Oldham
Trinity lacrosse defeats North Oldham 18-1

By Nate Bryan

Gavin Noland and Dalton Hubbs were Rock stars Wednesday night for the Trinity High School lacrosse team. The duo combined for 10 first-half goals, including seven straight during one high-scoring stretch, as the Shamrocks rolled by the North Oldham Mustangs, 18-1 in the opening semifinal of the KSLL state tournament at Marshall Stadium in Louisville.

Trinity (16-4) advanced to play in and host the state final Friday night.

The Shamrocks, the consensus No. 2 team in the state according to three computer ratings (MaxPreps, Inside Lacrosse and LaxNumbers), scored the game's first 12 goals. North Oldham (7-9), a consensus top-20 team according to the computer ratings (13th by LaxNumbers, 15th by MaxPreps and 16th by Inside Lacrosse), broke up the shutout with 1:55 left in the first half as senior attacker Chase Hill scored off an assist from senior Jackson Anderson. Noland's lone goal in the first quarter was in the 5th minute (Hubbs assist). He heated up in a hurry in the second period, scoring four times in 4:18 to help extend Trinity's lead from 6-0 to 12-0. Two of Noland's goals in the stretch were unassisted, while senior Jacob Rayome had one assist and senior Blake Zupetz had the other.

Three of Hubbs' five first-half goals (10th minute, 13th minute, and 21st minute) were unassisted. Junior Andrew Higdon fed Hubbs in the sixth minute, while junior Wil Redman found Hubbs for a goal in the 19th minute.

Trinity sophomore Davis Wilmes passed out a pair of assists before halftime, hooking up with Rayome in the seventh minute to make it 3-0 and finding senior Jacob Rogers in the 23rd minute to cap off the first-half scoring.

Trinity, ranked in the top 150 nationally according to MaxPreps, went up 15-1 in the first eight minutes of the second half. Sophomore Stone Wilmes found Redman in the 31st minute, while Hubbs' sixth goal of the night came in the 32nd minute off a pass from Davis Wilmes. Higdon had an unassisted goal in the opening two minutes of the fourth quarter before freshman Owen Bork broke into the point’s column in the 41st minute off a feed from sophomore Spencer Windham.

Trinity sophomore Robert Hook capped off the scoring with 77 seconds left in the match off an assist from junior Kaden Bates.


Recent Articles